Sunday 3 February 2008

Kokedama-Creeping Fig


Do you know Kokedama?

It would be called "Moss Ball Bonsai" in English. ("Koke" is "moss" and "dama" is "ball" in English.) Here I put one of my Kokedama examples and this is my favorite one.

I love Kokedama. Its cute round shape and tranquility formed by moss creates a somewhat comical but quiet, wonderful but humble atmosphere. Everytime I look at Kokedama I feel a sense of wonder. I love it.

I remember when and where I saw Kokedama for the first time in my life. It was in a local shopping mall in Japan about 10 years ago. As soon as I spotted it, I got so fascinated with it that I bought one straight away. Since then I have liked Kokedama very much and now I make it here in Britain.

It is said that the history of Kokedama is unknown but there is a widely-accepted theory. Kokedama is derived from "Nearai" of Bonsai. (I will explain about Nearai in the next post.) Bonsai is said to have started in Heian period (794-1185) in Japan, so I can say that Kokedama is a new way to appreciate and enjoy the beauty of nature.

There are a lot of Bonsai fans in Britain but I have not heard of a shop selling Kokedama nor of anybody making it. (More people might know about Kokedama in other parts of Europe, though.) So I hope everyone who visits my blog will enjoy the world of Kokedama and I will be very very glad if you get interested in it.

Thank you!

PS: I had believed this plant ivy for some reason and have just found it is not. So I revised my post. 04/03/2008

No comments: